12 Best Oceanography Schools In The World 2022: Marine Biology & Oceanography Colleges
12 Best Oceanography Schools In The World 2022: Marine Biology And Oceanography Colleges
12 Best Oceanography Schools In The World 2022: Marine Biology And Oceanography Colleges. It’s a great time to get into Marine Biology And Oceanography and find the best school for your undergraduate Marine Biology And Oceanography degree on our list of the Best Marine Biology And Oceanography Colleges and Universities in America and the world. Kamerpower.com
Though the oceans and seas are natural, there are physical, chemical, and biological properties that make up the sea. To study the physical, chemical, and biological characteristics of the ocean, marine life, and the interaction of marine life with its aquatic environment, you have to undergo formal education. Therefore check out the best oceanography schools in the world to attend.
What is Oceanography?
According to National Geographic, Oceanography is the study of the physical, chemical, and biological characteristics of the ocean, including the ocean’s ancient history, its current condition, and its future. It is also referred to as a scientific course that deals with all aspects of the world’s oceans and seas.
Summary on where you Can Study Oceanography?
The Best Oceanography Schools are:
- University of California-San Diego
- University of Washington-Seattle Campus.
- University of Miami.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB).
- University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- University of California-Santa Cruz
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- United States Naval Academy.
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech).
How Much Does An Oceanographer Make? Salary / Outlook
According to Bureau of Labor, Statistics, the median pay for Oceanographers was $90,890 per year. The pay for Oceanographers varies according to the industry of employment, with employees in the oil and gas extraction industry earning higher than federal government employees and engineering service employees.
12 Best Oceanography Schools In The World 2022: Marine Biology And Oceanography Colleges
Oceanographers start with a bachelor’s degree and then look into pursuing internship programs or entry-level positions.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Through the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, MIT offers 2 Oceanography, Chemical, And Physical Degree programs.
It’s typically divided into four sub-disciplines: physical oceanography (the study of waves, currents, tides and ocean energy); geological oceanography (the study of the sediments, rocks and structure of the seafloor and coastal margins); chemical oceanography (the study of the composition and properties of seawater).
As an Oceanographer, you’ll understand and predict how the world’s oceans and seas work, and how to make the most efficient and sustainable use of their resources. A degree in Oceanography gives you a sturdy foundation in biology, chemistry, geology, and physics.
12 Best Oceanography Schools in 2022
United States Naval Academy offers 1 Oceanography degree program. It’s a medium-sized public university in a large suburb. The oceanography major is intended for the “hands-on” student with a strong interest in the physical and dynamic properties of the ocean and atmosphere. Oceanography majors strengthen knowledge gained in the classroom with underway and computer laboratories and conduct current and scientifically relevant research.
MIT-WHOI Joint Program in Oceanography / Applied Ocean Science and Engineering. Through the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, MIT offers 2 Oceanography, Chemical, And Physical Degree programs. It’s a large private university in a mid-sized city. With 3:1 student to faculty ratio, MIT ranks No.1 in QS top school rankings. Furthermore, MIT is dedicated to equipping its students with an education that blends accurate academic study and the excitement of learning with the support and intellectual stimulation of a diverse campus community
The School’s basic and applied research interests encompass virtually all marine-related sciences. RSMAS offers undergraduate and graduate programs Oceanography. The RSMAS in Oceanography is intended to give students a broad overview of the ocean sciences (physical, chemical, biological and geological oceanography, and ocean-atmosphere interactions as they relate to weather and climate) and specialized knowledge in one or more sub-disciplines.
The University of Washington-Seattle Campus offers 6 Oceanography, Chemical, and Physical Degree programs. The School of Oceanography fosters the advancement of the ocean sciences, solutions to problems of societal relevance, and public awareness of the marine environment. The School centers on learning and discovery, equipping students with knowledge and insights, scholarly methods, scientific tools, and communication skills.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill offers 2 Oceanography, Chemical, And Physical Degree programs. The Department of Marine Sciences administers the University’s strong commitment to research, teaching, and public service. In practical terms, they strive to understand the proponents that regulate marine systems and connect these to the other components of the Earth System.
UCB offers a bachelor’s and a graduate degree in marine biology. This field of marine biology thus requires an understanding of the interactions between the biosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere, and atmosphere. This major is intended to provide students with a broad background in the earth sciences with an emphasis on marine life. Interrelationships between physical, biological, and chemical processes at Earth’s surface will be emphasized.
The University of Washington-Seattle Campus offers 6 Oceanography, Chemical, and Physical Degree programs. The School of Oceanography fosters the advancement of the ocean sciences, solutions to problems of societal relevance, and public awareness of the marine environment.
8. Brown University
One of the Best Marine Biology And Oceanography Colleges & Universities in America. Brown University is a private not-for-profit university based in Providence, Rhode Island. It is an institution with an enrollment of over 1,637 bachelor’s degree candidates. The admission criteria is somewhat competitive with the acceptance rate of 8%.
The Ocean Sciences Department includes faculty, students and staff involved in oceanography and other marine sciences and offers undergraduate and graduate courses in these disciplines. The graduate programs in ocean sciences are meant to prepare students for careers in research and teaching.
Their Oceanography program investigates a wide range of fundamental physical and geochemical processes in global ocean circulation and the impacts these processes have on the global climate. Students get to learn about the variability of the ocean from interannual to inter-decadal time scales using state-of-art ocean models and observational data sets.
11. Northeastern University
Northeastern University is a private not-for-profit university based in Boston, Massachusetts. It is an institution with an enrollment of over 3,108 bachelor’s degree candidates. The admission criteria is somewhat competitive with the acceptance rate of 27%.
Caltech is a renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world’s brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions and pressing societal challenges. Caltech is on our list of best Oceanography schools in the world. The Oceanography program focuses on the physics of the ocean’s circulation and its impact on the global climate.
How Can I Become An Oceanographer?
Oceanographers normally receive a background education in biology, physics, chemistry, and geology, but they generally go on to focus their research in one field or the other. Oceanographers start with a bachelor’s degree and then look into pursuing internship programs or entry-level positions.
The exact major, minor, and specialization may differ from school to school. Ideally, an oceanographer acquires educational experience in hydrology, oceanography, environmental science, or geosciences.
How Long Does It Take To Study Oceanography?
The duration of the Oceanography program varies according to the institution and program.
1. Masters and PhD Study
A master’s degree in a specialized field of Oceanography spans for two-three years. A master’s degree will qualify you to work in the field and participate in full-time research. On the other hand, a PhD in a specialized branch of oceanography will be needed if you plan to teach oceanography at the college level. However, it spans two to four years.
2. Bachelor’s Degree
The minimum education required for a career in oceanography is a bachelor’s degree in Oceanography or basic sciences. A bachelor’s degree spans for three to five years in most cases. With a bachelor’s degree, you will be able to get an entry-level-type position.
What Skills Do I need To Become An Oceanographer?
To succeed in the field as an Oceanographer, you need the following skills:
- Critical-thinking skills: Oceanographers base their findings on sound observation and careful analysis of data. That is to say, for you to be a success in the field, you have to possess smart critical thinking skills.
- Problem-solving skills: Oceanographers work on complex projects filled with challenges. Therefore, to properly evaluate statistical data and other forms of information in order to make judgments and inform the actions of other workers, an Oceanographer has to engage his problem-solving skills.
- Physical strength: Oceanographers are normally strong physically and mentally. Because in the cause of the job they’ll need to hike to remote locations while carrying testing and sampling equipment when they conduct fieldwork.
- Communication skills: Oceanographers write reports and research papers. Therefore, they must be able to present their findings clearly to other scientists and team members as well as clients or professionals who do not have a background in the field.
What Does An Oceanographer Do?
Oceanographers performs the following functions;
- They study marine ecosystems and their inhabitants. This can involve researching animals or taking trips into the ocean to perform different experiments, collect data, or track the animals.
- They collect samples and data from the seafloor using specialized equipment and techniques.
Analyze samples for natural and contaminant composition.
- Oceanographers perform simulations of ocean phenomena using a computer or mathematical models.
- They use statistical models of laboratory and field data to study hypotheses and make predictions.
- An Oceanographer studies the movements of the oceans, tides, waves, and currents that move the water itself.
- Chemical Oceanographers observe the chemical composition of the ocean water and its impact on the planet.
- They may study pollution or help find naturally-occurring resources on the seafloor.
- Geological Oceanographers focus on studying the floor level of the ocean. They study undersea volcanic activity and its connection to the movement of tectonic plates or the deep oceanic trenches that plunge thousands of feet.