Cameroon GCE O Level English Language syllabus 2021-2022
2. READING COMPREHENSION
Candidates will be expected to:
- answer different types of questions on the passage (s).
- answer questions related to the grammar, vocabulary and literary aspects of the passages.
- recognize the main idea and supporting details in textual material.
- select essential information from a paragraph.
- identify the writer’s purpose, point of view and intended meaning; also make inferences using logical reasoning.
- identify the meaning of words and expressions (including unfamiliar ones) in context; interpret figures of speech.
- identify the writer’s attitude to his/her subject.
- provide solutions to a problems.
- read to identify chronological order in a series of events in a passage.
- differentiate between facts and opinion, and make out other people’s views on a subject.
- summarize; synthesis information from more than one source; recognize
- similarities between ideas in texts.
- identify text type: speech, lecture, story, etc.
- identify parts of speech.
- recognize discourse markers: enumeration, addition, contrast, cause and effect, illustration, etc. Recognize markers for exemplification and explanations, and sequence indicators
- recognize redundancies: restatements, repetitions, oppositions, explanations, examples.
- understand relations between parts of a text through lexical cohesive devices as well as grammatical cohesive devices, e.g. pronoun references (e.g. it, she, etc.).
- use critical reasoning to evaluate textual material.