Cameroon GCE O Level English Language syllabus 2015-2016
1. LISTENING COMPREHENSION
Candidates will be required to:
- discriminate sounds in connected speech.
- discriminate stress pattern in connected speech.
- listen for main points.
- listen for detail and implied meaning.
- listen for general and specific information.
- listen and differentiate between relevant and irrelevant information.
- listen and identify people’s points of view in a conversation, debate or textual material.
- listen and infer meaning from context.
- listen to a dialogue or conversation and identify a problem.
- listen and identify the purpose of a text
- listen and identify relevant facts from a text.
- listen and recognize a range of spoken text types and speech situations such as a story, talk, conversation, debate, interview and respond appropriately.
- listen and provide a suitable title or conclusion.
- listen and identify characters, settings etc.
- listen and pick out clues about the speaker’s mood (s).
- listen to a debate and select the points.
- listen and distinguished between formal/informal speech register.
- listen and interpret attitudinal meaning.
- listen and recognize indicators in discourse, such as illustration, enumeration and contrast. (e.g. addition, sequence, cause and effect, introducing a new idea, transition to another idea, emphasizing, explanation or clarification of an idea and point already made).
- listen for signal words (for:
• illustration, for example, N.B., i.e., e.g. etc.
• conclusion, e.g. therefore, finally, in conclusion.
• enumeration, e.g. firstly, secondly, next, etc.
• contrast, e.g. on the contrary, but, however, etc.)