Cameroon GCE O Level English Language syllabus 2015-2016
5. SPOKEN ENGLISH AND SCHOOL-BASED PROJECTS
- Encourage the teaching and learning of oral English.
- Encourage learners to use acceptable forms in their spoken English.
- Encourage learners to listen and get used to other varieties of spoken English.
• Encourage the practical use of English by making learning more participatory and learner-centered.
• Encourage creativity.
• Encourage group work and group interaction.
• Build self-confidence and self-esteem.
• Encourage learners to adapt to different situations, settings and varied tasks.
• Encourage the spirit of inquisitiveness and research.
- Enable active participation of learners in the learning process.
- Fortify the link between spoken and written English.
- Enable learners to practice an important skill.
- • Enable learners to understand different ways in which spoken language is used in different contexts.
• Enable learners to freely and confidently express themselves in a variety of settings and situations.
• Enable learners to become creative, inquisitive and develop the capacity for research.
• Enable learners to develop the sense of communal and participatory approach in solving problems or addressing given situations.
- The examination will present an occasion for interacting with the candidate through conversation. The examiner will provide lead questions on varied topics for conversation or dialogue. The questions are meant to provoke candidates to talk, but if a candidate appears not to be well informed about a particular topic, the examiner must switch to another topic since the purpose of the examination is not only to test knowledge but also for articulation, pronunciation, logical sequence and fluency in the candidate.
- Candidates will be examined either individually, in pairs or in groups of not more than five depending on the questions chosen for the examination. Each candidate will be given 5 – 10 minutes to demonstrate his/her competence in spoken English. The test will carry 40 marks. SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SUBJECT: Oral Work (there will be Oral Interaction between candidate(s) and examiner(s)).