ASTI University of Buea Division I, II ASTI de Buea
Professional Bachelor of Arts in Translation and Intercultural Studies
OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE PROGRAMME
The Professional B.A. in Translation and Intercultural Studies is an interdisciplinary professional programme which aims to achieve the following objectives:
- to introduce students to the major professional, practical and theoretical issues in the field of Intercultural Studies in general as well as Translation or Interpretation in particular;
- to prepare students for eventual specialisation in translation, interpretation, and translation-related areas as well as in a variety of professionally-oriented disciplines which require a mastery of issues and stakes in interculturality; intercultural situations with relevant training and increased awareness of the key issues relating to multiculturalism and to apply an understanding of these issues to practical situations or international contexts; ASTI University of Buea.
- to provide the job market with qualified mid-level professionals in the areas of translation and interpretation.
All students are trained in a three-language combination package. The third language is offered ab-initio, i.e. no initial knowledge of the language is required before training. However, the course will be open to candidates with training in a third language as well. In this case, a placement test will be carried out to orientate them to the appropriate level of Study Skills in L3.
Besides, students will be offered the unique opportunity to choose one among a series of major professionally-oriented electives which will be pursued to pre-specialisation level throughout the course. Candidates are advised to contact the School for the languages, the professional electives and areas of specialisation currently offered.Trainees are also given the opportunity to carry out an in-situ Practicum, whereby they display their ability to solve concrete problems in intercultural communication, translation, interpretation and terminology.
Depending on the options chosen by the trainees, possible career prospects include working as junior staff (notably as junior rather than senior translators) in such areas as community translation and interpreting, including translating from/into African languages, sign language translation and interpreting, film translation, including dubbing and subtitling, translating and interpreting for the courts, etc..
Graduates will also be in a position to further specialise in such areas as SL/FL teaching, specialised translation/interpretation, international relations, conflict resolution, corporate communication and public relations, mass-media, journalism, tourism within any multicultural setting, especially in regional and international organisations.
Candidates for the Professional B.A. in Translation and Intercultural Studies must be holders of the GCE A.L. or the Baccalauréat with sound mastery of English and French. They must also choose a third language of their preference among those offered by the School (currentlty including Arabic, German, and Spanish). Selection shall be done through an examination of the candidates’ application files and credentials, as well as a test of the candidate’s knowledge of languages A and B.
- Have earned a minimum of 240 credits of requisite compulsory and elective courses;
- Complete the course in a minimum of 8 semesters or a maximum of 14 semesters;
- Satisfy any other requirements of undergraduate studies prescribed by Senate.
Kamerpower est un hub pour les étudiants, les demandeurs d’emploi et l’annuaire des bourses d’études. Le site fournit des informations informatives gratuites concernant les concours, des opportunités éducatives, Universités, Résultats, Jobs, Stages, Épreuves, Conseils etc, Le meilleur endroit informatif au Cameroun, l’Afrique et africains dans le monde entier.