College of Technology University of Buea COT
UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES University of Buea.
Department of Computer Engineering.
OPTION : COMPUTER NETWORKS AND SYSTEMS MAINTENANCE.
QUALIFICATION OFFERED: BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY.
B.Tech. Computer Engineering with option in Computer Networks and systems maintenance.
DURATION OF STUDIES: 3 Years.
OBJECTIVES OF DEGREE PROGRAMME
The Department seeks to provide quality instruction at undergraduate level. It also encourages hands-on, which would enable its graduates to be able to harness forces and exploit resources so that they can be instruments for development. In this respect, the undergraduate courses lay emphasis on the teaching of basic Engineering principles and on the applications of various Engineering concepts, enhanced by practical sessions.
The department also offers a professional Higher National Diploma (HND) programme in two years. The specific objectives for the Computer Networks and system maintenance are:
- To produce graduates who are well-educated in the fundamental concepts of Computer Networks and systems maintenance.
- To produce graduates who are capable of continuing their professional development throughout their career by combining theory with its application in Computer Engineering practice.
- To build human resource capacity in the Computer Network and system maintenance discipline in both the public and private sectors to students who wish to become proficient in developing Computer networks in a variety of platforms using a methodical approach.
SKILLS TO BE ACQUIRED
At the end of the programme, the following skills should be acquired:
- Ability to understand sophisticated techniques in PC repair, including external I/O devices, printers, mobile computing devices, purchasing and building PCs, troubleshooting, support, virus protection, data protection, and recovery.repair and maintenance.
- Ability to understand how computers communicate with each other, how computers are grouped together to form networks, networking concepts and issues that are key to the successful implementation of computer networks, and the different networking implementation strategies and technologies currently available.
The students will have opportunities in the following areas;
- As a technical staff in industries related to Computer networking and systems maintenance.
- As a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in a small and medium sized company.
- As a teacher in secondary school for Computer Networks and System Maintenance both in O level and A level.
In addition to the general university requirements candidates must obtain a minimum of grade D at the Advanced level in Physics and Mathematics. Candidates with Baccalaureate Technical in Electrical Technology are also admitted.
B.Tech. in Computer Engineering.
SPECIAL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
In order to be awarded the degree of B.Tech. in Computer Engineering a total of 180 credits is required.