Cameroon GCE O Level Physics syllabus 2015
Cameroon GCE O Level 580 Physics syllabus 2015
Kamerpower team always have its viewers best interest at heart, so we always make sure we bring to your door step any article that will be of help to you all, especially as all GCE candidates preparing for their registered subjects this year 2015. Cameroon GCE O Level Physics syllabus 2015.
ORDINARY LEVEL PHYSICS
Science education should reflect the changing needs of students and the growing significance of science for strategic development in an emerging economy. The Ordinary level Syllabus is designed to incorporate the following components:
- science for the enquiring mind, or pure science, to include the principles, procedures and concepts of the subject as well as its cultural and historical aspects;
- the applications of science and its interface with technology;
- Science which is concerned with issues (social and economic) of concern to citizens.
The three components are integrated within the syllabus, with the first component having about 80% weighting. The remaining 20% is allocated to the other two components in the ratio 3:1.
The syllabus is suitable for a three-year course of physics lasting about 204 hours, following introductory courses in science and Mathematics. It is hoped that the course will be taught in the spirit of investigation, that is, they should be practically and experimentally based. It is expected that the candidates will be involved in practical work complimented by demonstrations whenever possible. This will entail the schools making some of their own equipment and candidates carrying out school based projects.
Cameroon GCE O Level Physics syllabus 2015
- Aim and Assessment Objectives of the Syllabus.
The general aim of education is to contribute towards the development of all aspects of the individual. The three-year course of physics is presented within this general aim, with a particular emphasis on the preparation of students for the requirements of further education or training, for employment and for their role as participative, enterprising citizens. The course aims to provide continuity with and progression from the course programme in the lower levels (Form I to Form2).
The course programme, in contributing to a high quality education, emphasises the importance of:
- a spirit of inquiry, critical thinking, problem solving, self-reliance, initiative and enterprise,
- preparation for further education, for adult and working life,
- life-long learning.
- Assessment Objectives (AO)
The syllabus will be assessed under the headings: knowledge, comprehension, and higher abilities. All material within the syllabus is examinable. Candidates will be expected to have an understanding of the applications listed in the syllabus. However, details of any application not listed in the syllabus will be given in the question.
The assessment objectives of the syllabus are:
2.2.1. AO1 Knowledge, which includes the ability to recall
- basic physical principles, scientific terminology,
- facts, laws, definitions, concepts, theories;
- conventions, symbols, units;
2.2.2 AO2Comprehension, which includes the ability to:
- express a mathematical law in verbal terms,
- use a known formula to calculate a physical quantity,
- describe an experimental technique,
- read information from a graph,
- extract appropriate data from a table,
- make straightforward deductions from extracted data,
- express experimental results in graphical form,
- explain the physics principles behind the design of apparatus with which the student is familiar,
- explain simple phenomena in terms of the laws of physics.
2.2.3. AO3 Higher Abilities, which include the ability to:
- solve problems (verbally, mathematically and graphically) and drawing conclusions (theoretical and practical)
- explain simple effects with which the student is unfamiliar,
- solve numerical problems involving two or more stages, where the laws involved are not immediately obvious,
- interpret graphs involving, for example, measurement of slope of a straight line or a curve,
- drawing theoretical conclusions from non-standard graphical results,
- relate scientific concepts to issues in everyday life.
- Examination Structure
3.1 Weighting of Assessment Objectives