College of Technology University of Buea COT
UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES University of Buea.
Department of Computer Engineering
OPTION : SOFTWARE ENGINEERING.
QUALIFICATION OFFERED : BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY.
B.Tech. Computer Engineering with option in Software Engineering.
DURATION OF STUDIES: 3 Years.
OBJECTIVES OF DEGREE PROGRAMME.
The Department seeks to provide quality instruction at undergraduate level. It also encourages hands-on, which would enable its graduates to be able to harness forces and exploit resources so that they can be instruments for development. In this respect, the undergraduate courses lay emphasis on the teaching of basic Engineering principles and on the applications of various Engineering concepts, enhanced by practical sessions.
The department also offers a professional Higher National Diploma (HND) programme in two years.
The specific objectives for the Software Engineering are:
- To produce graduates who are well-educated in the fundamental concepts of Software Engineering.
- To produce graduates who are capable of continuing their professional development throughout their career by combining theory with its application in Computer Engineering practice;
- To build human resource capacity in the Software Engineering discipline in both the public and private sectors to students who wish to become proficient in Software development in a variety of platforms using a methodical approach.
SKILLS TO BE ACQUIRED
At the end of the programme, the following skills should be acquired:
- Ability to understand sophisticated techniques in system analysis and design.
- Ability to have a sound understanding of computer science.
- Ability to understand current programming languages, such as Visual Basic, Java and C/C++;
- Ability to understand the methodology of software systems engineering and Software development in modern environments.
The students will have opportunities in the following areas.
- As a technical staff in industries related to Software Engineering. These areas may include software developer, software programmer, application developer, Web application developer, software engineer, software applications analyst, Web applications analyst, Web applications specialist and software applications specialist.
- As a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in a small and medium sized company.
- As a teacher in secondary school for Software Engineering and ICT both in O level and A level.
In addition to the general university requirements candidates must obtain a minimum of grade D at the Advanced level in Physics and Mathematics. Candidates with Baccalaureate Technical in Electrical Technology are also admitted.
B.Tech. in Computer Engineering.